20030623: HDS feed to/from seistan (cont.)

>From:  Robert Leche <address@hidden>

Hi Bob,

re: is cirocco on the same subnet as seistan

>Sirocco, Datoo, and Seistan are all on the same subnet, separated only by
>switches. In fact our entire SRCC system is on the same subnet.

OK, I figured that this should be the case, but I wanted to make
absolutely sure.

Given that all three of these machines are on the same subnet,
differences seen feeding from any machine should be a function of
firewall/tcpd setup on that machine.  It would be good to be able to
test all three machines feeding HDS data to the UPC.  Latencies from
seistan to zero.unidata.ucar.edu have consistently ranged up to 6000
seconds since I setup the feed last week.  If the same feed from
sirocco and datoo show the same trend, I will be confident that the
latencies are not a result of individual firewall/tcpd setups on those
machines.  If latencies are significantly different from machine to
machine, I will be inclined to believe that the problem is in the
firewall/tcpd setup on the individual machines.

Now, if the latencies are the same from datoo, sirocco, and seistan it
really is telling us that something in the domain is causing the
latency increase.  The most likely candidate would be a router,
external firewall, or packet shaper.  The hard part will be finding out
exactly where that is, and then how to fix it.

re: latencies to seistan are small, but from seistan are large
>That's good.

The latencies to seistan being small is definitely good, but this
is not the problem.

re: allowing us to get on sirocco and datoo as 'ldm' and 'root' in
order to be able to run tests to pinpoint the cause of the SRCC
feed latencies.

>I will arrange this, and we will use the same pw as the one you have. And
>the plot thickens.

Thanks.  Please let me know when these have been setup.  I tried an
ldmping to sirocco a few seconds ago, and it still doesn't work:

/local/ldm% ldmping sirocco.srcc.lsu.edu
Jun 23 13:31:27      State    Elapsed Port   Remote_Host           rpc_stat
Jun 23 13:31:39      NAMED  12.098890    0   sirocco.srcc.lsu.edu  can't
contact portmapper: RPC: Timed out

This ldmping was done from zero.unidata.ucar.edu.