20030610: IDD model data

>From: "Karen Cooper" <address@hidden>

Hi Karen,

>I am currently receiving RUC 20km model data through LDM from
>thelma.ucar.edu.  The data comes to my machine here at NSSL at
>129.15.69.78 (quox.nssl.noaa.gov).

I see that quox.nssl is still running LDM-5.x.  Please configure
your new machine with the latest LDM-6 release, LDM-6.0.13.

>I am currently creating a DMZ machine for handling all LDM data so I
>would like to request a feed for it at 129.15.69.17.

I see that this machine correctly has forward and reverse name lookup:

  /local/ldm% nslookup 129.15.69.17
  Server:  localhost
  Address:  127.0.0.1

  Name:    dontpanic.nssl.noaa.gov
  Address:  129.15.69.17

  /local/ldm% nslookup dontpanic.nssl.noaa.gov
  Server:  localhost
  Address:  127.0.0.1

  Non-authoritative answer:
  Name:    dontpanic.nssl.noaa.gov
  Address:  129.15.69.17

so there should be no problems in feeding it.  Great name, by the way :-)

FYI, we won't take down the LDM on thelma until the afternoon when
there is a significant lull in the CONDUIT feed.

During your testing period, we would appreciate it if your new machine
would feed from emo.unidata.ucar.edu.  emo has the receives the full
CONDUIT feed from thelma, so you will be able to get what you need.
I just configured emo to allow dontpanic, so you can start feeding
anytime you like.

>During my testing
>phase (1-2 weeks) I would like to have data for both machines if this is
>possible.  Once everything is working on the new machine and I get all
>the LDM users within NSSL to switch over, I will go back to a single
>data feed.

OK.  During the testing period, leave quox feeding from thelma and
setup dontpanic from emo.  When you are confident that things are working
correctly, we will change the allows on thelma from quox to dontpanic.

>Please let me know if the second (temporary) feed is acceptable, and
>when it could be set up.

You are ready to go feeding from emo.  Have at it.

>Thanks!

Again, we ask you to use LDM-6 on dontpanic.  Thanks!

Tom Yoksas