20030418: UFRJ as a primary IDD redistribution point for Brazil (cont.)

>From:  David Garrana Coelho <address@hidden>

Hi David,

It has been a LONG time since I sent email, so I wanted to let you know
about what has been happening when we last talked.

Based on experiences running LDM 5.x both in the US and in Brazil (at
UFRJ and UFPA), we embarked on an ambitious development project
aimed at increasing the LDM's capability to move large volumes of
data over long distances.  I am happy to report that the result of
this work is LDM-6, a system which is backwardly compatible with
the LDM-5 like what is now running on brisa.

The benefits of moving to LDM-6 are:

- incresed data throughput from your upstream hosts to you
- decrease in system resources needed to move the same volume
  of data being moved by LDM-5
- ease of splitting feed requests.  You will recall that we went
  through a process of creating aliases for machines you were to
  feed from in order to split feedes to brisa.
- better use of network resources for moving data
- lots of LDM-5 bugs have been found and fixed

In general, the move to LDM-6 will make your data ingestion a lot
easier.

As part of our upgrade of our Internet Data Distribution (IDD) system,
we are asking sites that are still running LDM-5 to upgrade to the
latest release of LDM-6.

I did most of the work in upgrading UFRJ to LDM-6 earlier today:

<login to brisa as 'ldm'>
ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user> anonymous
  <pass> address@hidden
  cd pub/ldm
  binary
  get ldm-6.0.10.tar.Z
  quit

tar xvzf ldm-6.0.10.tar.Z
rm ldm-6.0.10.tar.Z
cd ldm-6.0.10/src
./configure
make
make install

The last part of the LDM build/insallation process must be done as 'root'.
Since I don't have 'root' access on brisa, you will need to do the
following:

<as 'root'>
cd ~ldm/ldm-6.0.10/src
make install_setuids

After this is done, I will want to modify your ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf
file to "tune" your data requests for LDM-6 and add allows for the UFPA
and the University of Buenos Aires.  These allows are the first concrete
step in the establishment of the IDD-Brazil that we talked about
last fall.  The other thing I will want to do -- with your permission --
is to increase the size of the LDM queue from what it is now, to
1 GB.  When I built LDM-6.0.10 earlier today, I checked to see if
you had enough disk space to do this, and you do.

Please let me know if you are willing to finish off the installation
of LDM-6 as I outlined above, and if increasing the LDM queue size
to 1 GB will not present problems for you.

Please let me know if I can answer any questions related to LDM-6.

>From address@hidden Sun Apr 20 13:16:34 2003
>Subject: Re: 20030418: UFRJ as a primary IDD redistribution point for Brazil
>(cont.)

Tom,

I just did what you asked below, and please feel free to do the
modifications you need.
Glad to help.

Best Regards,

David Garrana.