20021115: LDM/IDD setup at UBA (cont.)

>From: "Moira E. Doyle" <address@hidden>

Hi Moira,

>Ok, now it worked.

Wonderful.  I see 'ldmping' connection on atm:

Nov 15 15:41:51 atm.geo.nsf.gov trixie[11900]: Connection from
trixie.at.fcen.uba.ar
Nov 15 15:42:05 atm.geo.nsf.gov trixie[11900]: Connection reset by peer
Nov 15 15:42:05 atm.geo.nsf.gov trixie[11900]: Exiting

>My administrator will now allow Trixie to connect through
>port 388, I will let you know when it is ready.

Excellent.  When you are ready, I would like to try feeding trixie the
global observational data that is included in the IDS|DDPLUS datastream
of the IDD.  Since we are still using the "old" ldm, you will need to
split your data request for that stream into thirds.  I will give you
details on doing this when you tell me you are set to go.

>The version I have is 5.1.2

It would be a good thing to upgrade to 5.2.2.  The reason I suggest this
is that versions 5.2+ contain provision for reporting real time statistcs
back to our office.  We can use these statistics to evaluate the
delivery of data to you and to help tune that delivery.

LDM 5.2.2 will need to be built from source.  Here is a quick overview
of the procedure:

<login as 'ldm'>

ldmadmin stop

cd ~ldm
ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user> anonymous
  <pass> your_full_email_address
  cd pub/ldm5
  binary
  get ldm-5.2.2.tar.Z
  quit

zcat ldm-5.2.2.tar.Z | tar xvf -

cd ldm-5.2.2/src
./configure
make
make install
sudo make install_setuids

cd ~ldm
rm runtime
ln ldm-5.2.2 runtime

cd ~ldm/bin
<edit ldmadmin and make sure:

change:

$hostname="@HOSTNAME@";

to:

$hostname="trixie.at.fcen.uba.ar";

<at the same time, you can adjust the size of your product queue.  With
more recent versions of the LDM, this is set to 400 MB.  This is more
than enough for the volume of data that you will receive initially.>

cd ~ldm/etc
<edit ldmd.conf and add the following line:

exec    "rtstats -h rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu>

cd ~
ldmadmin delqueue
ldmadmin mkqueue

ldmadmin start

Again, the LDM 5.2+ distributions allow a site to report realtime statistics
back to our office.  This is important for tuning your data reception.

At some point in the near future, we will be asking you to upgrade again
to a new version of the LDM.  We will also be asking you to feed from
UFRJ.