20020731: LDM/IDD setup at UBA (cont.)

>From: "Moira E. Doyle" <address@hidden>

Moira,

>Did you come to present the COMET Program?

I was traveling with Dr. Tim Spangler, the head of the COMET program.
I visited UBA (with Fernando Requena) the day before Tim made his
presentation about COMET.

>I was not able to attend the
>conference, but I heard people were quite interested in the program

Both COMET and Unidata (the program I work for in UCAR) are interesting
and have a lot to offer.  Hopefully, a realtime feed of data to your
machine will be one of these.

>The machines name is 'trixie'
>
>and the IP
>
>trixie.at.fcen.uba.ar
>157.92.28.38

OK, I see that trixie.at.fcen.uba.ar has forward and reverse name lookup:

atm.geo.nsf.gov.ldm> nslookup 157.92.28.38
Server:  twister.nsf.gov
Address:  198.181.231.17

Name:    trixie.at.fcen.uba.ar
Address:  157.92.28.38

atm.geo.nsf.gov.ldm> nslookup trixie.at.fcen.uba.ar
Server:  twister.nsf.gov
Address:  198.181.231.17

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    trixie.at.fcen.uba.ar
Address:  157.92.28.38

That is the first hurdle.

I have setup an allow for trixie.at.fcen.uba.ar for all non-restricted
datastreams on a machine running the LDM that is under our control:

atm.geo.nsf.gov

While on this machine I tried pinging trixie, and met with failure:

atm.geo.nsf.gov.ldm> ping trixie.at.fcen.uba.ar
no answer from trixie.at.fcen.uba.ar

Is trixie behind a firewall that would prevent pings from working?  If
it is behind a firewall, you will have to get your system administrator
to allow port 388 (the port the LDM uses) through it.  This must be
done before the LDM can work.

After you get any firewall setup done, you need to add a request line
to the ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf file on trixie.  Your ldmd.conf file should
end up looking more-or-less like:

#
# Programs that share a queue with rpc.ldmd
# are started by it and are in the same process group.

exec    "pqbinstats"
exec    "pqact"

request DDPLUS|IDS ".*" atm.geo.nsf.gov

Also, make sure that you leave the allow line for all Unidata machines
in the file:

# send anything to your own machine
allow   ANY
    ^((localhost|loopback)|(127\.0\.0\.1\.?$)|([a-z].*\.unidata\.ucar\.edu\.?$))

After you have modified ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf, you next need to decide what
to do with the data when you get it.  This is what the actions in
~ldm/etc/pqact.conf are for.  The default action sent out with the LDM
should simply file all products (depending on what version of the LDM you
installed).  This will be sufficient for initial tests of feeding you,
but will most likely need to be changed as your use evolves.

So, the action items are:

1) investigate access for port 388 through your firewall

2) modify your ldmd.conf file

3) verify that your LDM can "see" atm.geo.nsf.gov.  This is most easily done
   by using ldmping:

   <logged in as 'ldm'>
   ldmping -i 2 atm.geo.nsf.gov

4) if the ldmping is successful, you can start the LDM and see how good
   of a data feed you can get.  This will be influenced by UBA's internet
   connection; packat routing within your department; etc.

Please work through the above and let me know how it goes.

Tom