20010712: Problems at UPRM (cont.)

>From: Unidata Mcidas Account <address@hidden>

Luis,

>Finished everything on the list.  Edited the inetd.conf file and
>restarted it.  You wanted me to notify you.

Thanks for the update.  Access to atmos.uprm.edu through the remote
ADDE server is now working.

What is still not working, however, is the feed of NEXRAD products for
JUA from FSU.  We have been working with the FSU LDM contact person,
Bill Cottrill, and we are pretty sure that his side is properly setup
to allow you to request the NNEXRAD feed.  Your LDM installation, on
the other hand, may be a problem since it appears to be of the 5.0.x
vintage.  Based on this assumption, I went ahead and FTPed the latest
version of LDM source to your machine and built it.  This went
smoothly.  The other thing that I did was create the runtime link
structure that will allow you to easily switch between versions of the
LDM.  What is in place now is:

lrwxrwxrwx   1 ldm      users           9 Jul 13 14:33 runtime -> ldm-5.x.x/
lrwxrwxrwx   1 ldm      users          11 Jul 13 14:36 man -> runtime/man/
lrwxrwxrwx   1 ldm      users          11 Jul 13 14:36 lib -> runtime/lib/
lrwxrwxrwx   1 ldm      users          15 Jul 13 14:35 include ->
runtime/include/
lrwxrwxrwx   1 ldm      users          11 Jul 13 14:35 bin -> runtime/bin/
drwxr-xr-x   6 ldm      users        4096 Jul 13 14:34 ldm-5.x.x/
drwxr-xr-x   7 ldm      users        4096 Jul 13 13:30 ldm-5.1.4/
drwxr-xr-x   2 ldm      users        4096 Jul 13 13:30 etc/
lrwxrwxrwx   1 ldm      users          18 May 24 19:18 logs ->
/var/data/ldm/logs/
lrwxrwxrwx   1 ldm      users          13 May 24 19:18 data -> /var/data/ldm/

I created the ldm-5.x.x directory and moved the bin, lib, include, and
man directories that used to be in ~ldm under it.  The new LDM code is
contained in the ldm-5.1.4 directory strucuture.  Switching between the
5.x.x (I don't know what version you are currently running) to the new
version is as simple as changing the runtime link from ldm-5.x.x to
ldm-5.1.4.

One part of building/installing/configuring a new version of the LDM is
the editing of the new copy of ldmadmin.  What needs to be changed in
this script (which is located in ~ldm/ldm-5.1.4/bin after the
preliminary 'make install' step) is:

o replace @HOSTNAME@ with the full hostname for the system running the
  LDM.  This is atmos.uprm.edu in your case

o possibly chaning the size of the LDM queue.  This is done by modifying
  $pq_size.  It is sent out as:

  $pq_size = 400000000;

  and it should be changed to something like:

  $pq_size = 400000000;

  depending on how much data you intend to ingest.

For simplicity, I already performed these two steps.

The next thing that needs to be done _as 'root'_ is:

cd /home/ldm/ldm-5.1.4/src
make install_setuids

After this is done, we need to do the following as the user 'ldm'
(NOT 'root'!):

<login as 'ldm'>

o cd to the HOME directory of 'ldm':

  cd ~ldm

o stop the ldm:

  ldmadmin stop

o change the runtime link:

  rm runtime
  ln -s ldm-5.1.4 runtime

o verify that the switch of the runtime link was done properly:

  which rpc.ldmd

  This should show that it is found in ~ldm/bin.

o restart the ldm:

  >>> upgrading from a 5.0.x version of the LDM requires that your LDM
  >>> queue be remade

  ldmadmin delqueue
  ldmadmin mkqueue          (this will take a couple/few minutes so one must
                             be patient)
  ldmadmin start

At this point you should start seeing NEXRAD image data on your
system.  I setup your ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf to file the image products
for JUA in /var/data/nexrad/NIDS/JUA/...  I also setup a crontab entry
to scour these files every 15 minutes.  The scour script is named
prune_nexrad.csh, and it is located in the ~ldm/decoders directory
(maybe it should be moved to util??; if so, the crontab entry will need
to be changed to reflect this).  Scouring is setup to leave the most
recent 72 images of each kind for JUA on disk.  You can modify this by
editing prune_nexrad.csh.

>Once again, Thank You.

You are welcome.  The process of getting you going has been a little
slow since so many steps were needed to be done by 'root'.  After the
last one I list above, you should be nearly 100% setup.  The only thing
left to be done is evaluate how well your machine can ingest the
currently requested data, and then, if you have network bandwidth to do
so, start requesting model data appropriate for Puerto Rico.

Please let me know when you have finished doing the 'make install_setuid'
step listed above.

Tom