DIFAX (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 11:36:50 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
From: Bill Fingerhut <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: DIFAX

Greetings,

As a new member I don't know what has already been discussed
about the phasing out of DIFAX. I checked the usercomm page
and did not see anything in the minutes of past meetings. So,
I thought I would through my 2 cents worth into the ring.

There has been a lot of chatter lately on other Unidata lists.
It would seem that many users rely on DIFAX and truely miss
the old paper maps. Of course a lot of work has gone into
the distribution of raw data and software that enables one
to create very nice maps on a pc monitor. But some users are
not satisfied. Have our users been asked why the pc maps
are not adequate?

There may be many different answers, some might be anticipated
and others not. One of my colleagues wants paper maps for
students to hand analyze, and the pc maps can not be printed
with enough clarity for this purpose. Thus, it seems to me
that taking the time to develope quality print capabilities
might be useful. Has this alternative been previously
considered?

Bill

< Bill Fingerhut, Professor              PHONE: 802-626-6257 >
< Meteorology Dept                       FAX:   802-626-9770 >
< Lyndon State College                                       >
< Lyndonville, Vt 05851                                      >
< EMAIL:     address@hidden                     >
<            address@hidden                     >
< WWW:       http://apollo.lsc.vsc.edu/                      >
< disclaimer: I know nothing - I only work here.             >
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv