Re: Alden finality? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 09:34:43 -0500 (CDT)
From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>
To: Jim Koermer <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: Alden finality?

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Jim Koermer wrote:

> Our ku-band DIFAX from Alden seemed to stay around a bit longer, but
> things may have come to their final end around 09/2000Z. We haven't
> received anything since that time and the receiver is showing no signal.
> Is anyone else still receiving Alden DIFAX through ku-band?

Their DiFAX feed ended on thunder.alden.com through the IDD at the same
time.

> It is really a shame that such a good company for so many years had to
> end this way.

David W.'s post about Alden really hit in on the mark. It looks like they
just failed to keep up with the times. While WSI, Accu-Weather, Kavouras
and others looked ahead, I think they rested on their laurels as the
company that had no competition until the digital explosion in the 80's
and 90s. When it was pretty much ignored, the writing was on the wall.

Internet: address@hidden    (My opinions only!)                     ******
E-mail: address@hidden                                 ***