Re: NOAAPORT Receiver Request (fwd)

Chuck,

Here's a url for the SSEC ingestor:

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/sdi/sdi.html

> What sites are supplimenting IDD data with their own NOAAPORT receiver?

Another url:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/idd/failover.html

> What additional software (other than than from SSEC) would be required
> to feed the NOAAPORT products into our LDM?

Nothing, the SSEC system produces spool files that the LDM pqing reads and
then enters the products into the LDM queue.

> In your opinion what are the additional efforts required locally to
> maintaining the NOAAPORT feed?

Very little.  The best configuration is the ingest machine does little
else except to feed some other machines.  Our ingest machine has been
really stable, maybe a couple hours of maintainance every 6 months.

> I know this won't solve all of the IDD problems here at SLU but might
> be a reasonable solution.
>
> The biggest snag of all, is that the proposal needs to be turned into
> the university by Friday (yeah Sept. 22nd!).

You can always put in for a Unidata/NSF equipment grant, they are coming
up in the near future. I believe the grant need matching funds so maybe
one could work something out between the grant and SLU. For more info go
to the search on UPC home page and then search for grants.

Robb...

 So If you can get some/all