Re: Alden update... (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 14:33:20 -0400
From: Frank Colby <address@hidden>
To: Larry Riddle <address@hidden>
     address@hidden
Subject: Re: Alden update...

Just my 2 cents worth about difax -- similar to what Larry is doing, we
ftp the difax charts in tiff format from the nws site.  We do this from
a vax system, but using cron would give the same results.  I have a
separate file for each time, retrieving only the charts that should be
ready at that time.  These are then stuck on a shared directory on an nt
machine and we use an image viewer to look at them.  We archive them on
the vax in case we want to go back.  The viewer allows printing if
needed, and magnification -- the images are pretty sharp.  So as long as
NWS makes them, we will continue to grab them.  And this is free.

Frank Colby
UMass Lowell