[GEMPAK #PWT-865266]: Decoding BBXX

> Hello,
>
> I have a task ahead of me which deals with decoding BBXX reports. These
> come in as singular reports in txt format, and our operational forecasters
> would like to decode each report by brute force I.e. simply running a
> script that handles singular BBXX reports. I'm wondering if GEMPAK has
> a script capable of decoding BBXX and exporting results to an ASCII file
> such as *.txt or *.csv.

Hi Greg,

GEMPAK is a rather large set of programs for decoding, processing and
displaying meteorological data.  One of the decoders included with GEMPAK is
called dcmsfc, and it converts ship records into a native GEMPAK point data
file.  These point data files can then be processed with any of the SF
programs, such as sflist, which can dump the contents to a text file, as you
would like.

However, if what you have are ship records in a text file, and what you want to
produce is CSV, you would probably be better off finding (or writing) a script
in shell or Python which re-formats the WMO text records into the structure
that you want.

Some resources for you to consider:

https://github.com/tomp/python-metar

http://metaf2xml.sourceforge.net/