[GEMPAK #JFR-894312]: new installation

> Dear Gempak Support,
>
> I know that we are supposed to be moving to NMAP2, but I still would
> like to be able to run GARP and NTL in my new installation.

GARP is officially unsupported by Unidata, so I can't offer any help with it.
NTL a front end to the various NAWIPS GUI programs, including NMAP2.

> NMAP2 gives font errors.  This is a standard CENTOS 7 installation, but
> maybe I need additional fonts?

Do you see what fonts are reported missing?  The standard yum install for
CentOS 6 has been

yum install xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-1-100dpi xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-1-75dpi

Hopefully that will work for you on CentOS 7.

> I haven't figured out
> how to access my surface files from NMAP2 yet, but figure that if the
> program runs, it's just a configuration issue.

If and when NMAP2 runs without these font errors, you can load surface obs
through the data loader, but if you have custom surface data files you will
need to edit the file $GEMTBL/config/datatype.tbl and the entry

METAR        $GEMDATA/surface          YYYYMMDD_sao.gem
        CAT_SFC  SCAT_SFC   10   2880     -1      OFF/0/0      4

Where $GEMDATA/surface is the location your files, and YYYYMMDD_sao.gem is the
file template for your data.  Set these to your own data and you will be able
to load them in NMAP2.

> That being said, is it possible to get GARP?  Or did it install with
> gempak, but just isn't in the profile?

GARP is not installed with GEMPAK.  The source code can be downloaded from
https://github.com/mjames-upc/garp but again, it's unsupported by Unidata.

Michael James
Unidata Program Center
Boulder, CO