[GEMPAK #GEF-629334]: Dropsonde data storage problems

> But my doubt is: I got this file (check). I've opened my NMAP2 with my
> GEMPAK user at this Fedora Machine, to check if it was viewing the
> Dropsonde data. Everything is fine (look the attachments), but when I load
> the drops, no data is plot. I've checked the INPE Cluster data, but also,
> got many drop.gem files with different dates, but no data is plot (For the
> South America and Brazil maps).
> So, do you know what's going on with the Dropsonde data plot and if there
> is a solution to this?

What you're seeing is the sparse data coverage for dropsondes, which are only
dropped during tropical storm events.  I loaded the latest _drop.gem file in
NMAP2 same as you, clicked MAP and changed view to WORLD and I can see two
dropsonde observations near Florida in the United States.

So the answer is that the data are not regular collected, and in times of no
tropical storm activity you should expect to see no plottable data.

Michael James
Unidata User Support

Ticket ID: GEF-629334
Department: Support GEMPAK