[GEMPAK #RGI-969779]: Gempak Decoders

> Hi Michael, I'm felling as if I'm on a video game. I have to complete a set
> of missions to get the price.hehe...
>
> I did what you said and looks like gempak is found the program now.
>
> However I had another problems.
>
> First when I set the device to X window I got a error saying that the
> DISPLAY variable is not set or incorrect. But my display variable looks OK
> it is configured with this :0.0.

At times when I have seen this DISPLAY error for :0.0 I've had luck with

setenv DISPLAY machine-name:1  (csh example)

> So I have set the device to GIF and I got another error saying that the
> grid could not be processed, can you tell me what is wrong now.
>
> There was a moment that the program ask me to configure the AREA so I set a
> limit that cover the entire Brazil territory.
> Following all the gdplot3 parameter and the error message:
>
> GEMPAK-GDPLOT3>r
> Number of times =            1
> 1  140514/0000F000
>
> PARAMETERS FOR GDPLOT : FRAME NUMBER  1 INITIAL PLOT SETTINGS -
> GDFILE=/opt/gempak/GEMPAK7/desktop/cosmo.gem, GDATTIM=140514/0000F000
> GAREA=-32.398757;-72.048075;6.982094;-31.269791, PROJ=MER, MAP=1,
> LATLON=1
> PANEL=0, TITLE=1
> OVERLAY  TYPE       LEVEL           VCORD       GRID FUNCTION
> 1    C          500             PRES        TMPC
> [DG -7]  Input grid TMPC ^140514/0000F000 @500 %PRES cannot be found.
> [GDPLOT 2]  The requested scalar/vector cannot be computed.

The GDPLOT2 input doesn't exist in the grid file.  when I run into this, I use
GDLIST to check that the grids to plot are available.  Run the same input

> GDFILE   = /opt/gempak/GEMPAK7/desktop/cosmo.gem
> GDATTIM  = LAST
> GLEVEL   = 500
> GVCORD   = PRES
> GDPFUN   = TMPC

in GDINFO to see.  From the Cosmo grib2 that I sent me earlier, I see 329 grids
but not any grids are PRES=500 for GVCORD.  I've attached a text file of the
Cosmo grid contents, where you'll see many HYBL (hybrid) layers and some NONE
(surface) layers but nothing for PRES.  so then the question becomes, does this
model, or this model file (in grib) supply fields at 500mb, and it's that they
are not being decoded correctly, or do they just not exist in the grib files?
(I'm asking because I'm not familiar with the Cosmo model or how you are using
it within your organization).

Michael James
Unidata User Support

Ticket ID: RGI-969779