[GEMPAK #QQC-934366]: Composited single site radar

Hi Brice,

re:
> Bryan pointed this out to me -

Say Hi to Bryan for me!

re:
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/mcidas/msg04493.html
>
> I am being tasked to do something similar. Would the code that creates the
> composites be available for us to use in our support to the Spaceflight
> Meteorology Group and NASA at JSC?  If not, do you know of anybody else
> that might have code like that?  I'm trying to avoid recreating a wheel
> when someone else may already have a Ferrari.

The routine that we developed/use is part of the Unidata GEMPAK distribution.
Michael James (our GEMPAK guy) has been working on consolidating two
different routines into a single one that can output composites in
either/both GINI (png-compressed) or grib2 format.

We run the routine every 5 minutes on our Amazon EC2 instance (64-bit CentOS
6.5) to produce several composites of several products which are most
easily described by giving the DSINFO IMAGE listing for the ADDE dataset
we created to serve them:

DSINFO I NEXRCOMP

        Dataset Names of Type: IMAGE in Group: NEXRCOMP

Name         NumPos   Content
------------ ------   --------------------------------------
1KDHR-NAT    99999    1 km DHR US Digital Hybrid Reflectivity Composite
1KDVL-NAT    99999    1 km DVL US Digital Vert. Int. Liquid H2O Composite
1KEET-NAT    99999    1 km EET US Enhanced Echo Tops Composite
1KHHC-NAT    99999    1 km HHC US Hybrid Hydrometeor Class. Composite
1KN0R-NAT    99999    1 km N0R US Base Reflectivity Composite
2KN1P-NAT    99999    2 km N1P US 1-hr Precip. Composite
4KNTP-NAT    99999    4 km NTP US Storm Total Precip. Composite
10KRCM-NAT   99999    10 km RCM National Composite Radar
6KN0R-NAT    99999    6 km N0R National Base Reflectivity Composite

DSINFO -- done

These products are available in the Unidata IDD in the FNEXRAD datastream.

NB:

- the 10KRCM-NAT images are not created from NEXRAD Level III products

- the 6KN0R-NAT images are created as a 6x blowdown of the 1KN0R-NAT
  products by IMGCOPY

The plan is to produce additional national composites for Level III
products where composites make sense (it does not make sense to
create a national composite of radial velocities, etc.).

So, if you are willing to install and use Unidata GEMPAK, you will
automatically have the code used to create the composites.

I drove your email into the GEMPAK department of our inquiry tracking
system so that Michael can follow-up with more information if you
are interested.

re:
> Thanks,

No worries.