[GEMPAK #VNF-844904]: updating gempak station tables

Hi Waldenio,

This is a tough one.  I don't have an easy answer after first reading your
email.

I checked the current station table against NCEP's version but they are too
large to tell if, for example, the NCEP file has the stations missing from the
Unidata file.

Unidata GEMPAK maintains different station files than NCEP GEMPAK, due to their
operational needs being different from the archival needs of our GEMPAK users.
So NCEP is happy to remove an expired station from their file but we keep it in
the station table for those who work with old data files.  I mean to say, an
easy "diff" of the NCEP and UPC station tables isn't possible.

I have no used SFCCHK to test for missing stations, and I think the best way
would be if the synoptic data decoders indicated a missing station in the logs,
which I checked but did not see anything of the sort.

So, I'm sorry I don't have an answer right now.  I am away on holiday until the
end of next week, at which time I can look at this more seriously.   I will
probably run the LDM ingesting only synoptic data, FILE the data away by STID,
and then after that runs for a day or two, sort unique station identifiers
through a script to check for an entry in the GEMPAK station files to identify
those stations which do not match.

Until then...

Michael

> Good Morning and Happy New Year ! :-)
>
> I am writing to get some help with the gempak´s station table update
> process.
>
> The objective is to add the missing stations in the table lsfstns.tbl.
> By "missing stations" I mean the stations that are arriving in SYNOP
> format through GTS and LDM but are being lost because the lsfstns.tbl
> table is outdated.
>
> The question is: How to discover what are the station data being lost
> because they are missing in the station table ?
>
> I know that the program sfcchk can provide a list of "missing stations",
> but seems that it works only for METAR data.
>
> The log outputs from dclsfc are hard to read. Is there a list with the
> meaning of each error code reported in the logs ? These logs warn about
> what stations are missing ?
>
> Thanks by the help.
>
> Cheers,
> Waldenio.