[CONDUIT #NTW-602374]: Haines Index Plots

Hi Nick,

GEMPAK has Haines Index stability indices used by the GEMPAK parameter STNDEX
in the upper air data programs: LHAN, MHAN and HHAN.

GEMPAK does not have Haines Index calculations for gridded data, and I don't
think there are any plans to add such functionality.  I do think that you
should be able to calculate Haines Index with GDDIAG, you'll just have to
control temperature, moisture and level calculations very carefully.

Lastly, I did see the three indices in a grid diagnostics library but the
functionality isn't there to easily calculate it via GDPFUN.

Best,

Michael James
Unidata

> Do you use GEMPAK to make your fire weather data plots, specifically of
> Haines Index? I am trying to plot Haines Index using gridded NARR data, but
> cannot get the code to work. Any feedback would be helpful.
>
> Thanks
> Nick Nauslar
> Graduate Research Assistant/PhD Student
> Climate, Ecosystem, and Fire Applications (CEFA)
> Desert Research Institute (DRI)
> 775-674-7079
> address@hidden

Ticket ID: NTW-602374