[GEMPAK #EOJ-355904]: malloc failure - gdtopo

in $GEMPAK/include/gemprm.h you will see LLMXDT for max number of grid points.

#define        LLMXGD                ( 1500000 )        /* Max # grid points */

your grid size is 700 million, that's orders of magnitude greater than GEMPAK
can handle.  You can increase LLMXGD here and then rebuild programs to allow
larger grids, but you may affect the performance of other programs if you
change it and rebuild all programs.

-Michael

> Hello
>
> when utilizing gdtopo (30s) to create a ‘nearly’ global grid (parms below)
> recently received a malloc failure... which is interesting, because physical
> memory was not close to being fully utilized at the time of failure   for now
> I’ll split it up into sections, but am curious if there is a setting that can
> be changed to allow creating the larger grids for ease of implementation
>
> =============
> GDTOPO PARAMETERS:
>
> Grid file:       global.gem
>
> Topography file: /home/gempak/GEMPAK6.8.0/gempak/tables/unidata/world_topo.30s
>
> GAREA:              -75;-180;75;180
> Lower left corner:     -75.0000  -180.0000
> Upper right corner:     75.0000   180.0000
>
> Number of X/Y grid points:  43200 18000
> Number of Grid points:    777600000
>
> Minimum and Maximum values  -500.00  8752.00
>
> Enter <cr> to accept parameters or type EXIT: write out grid
> GEMPAK malloc failure: Error allocating _ksGrid in dm_wdtrc
> [DM -35]  Problems with dynamic memory allocation
> Parameters requested: GDFILE,GAREA,GDATTIM,GVCORD,GFUNC,TOPOFL,IJSKIP.
> GEMPAK-GDTOPO>

Ticket ID: EOJ-355904
Department: Support GEMPAK