[Datastream #OKF-212399]: core dumps on unidata2-new

Hi Douglas,

re:
> We are seeing a lot of core dump messages this morning on unidata2-new
> for dcgrib2 procs.

OK, thanks for letting us know.  Since 'dcgrib2' is a GEMPAK decoder, I
will pass the information along to our GEMPAK person.

re:
> I thought I might try to restart xcd via xcdadmin but I do not know how
> xcd is started on unidata2-new.

Why did you want to restart XCD?  Perhaps you thought that 'dcgrib2' is
not a McIDAS XCD routine?

re:
It appears to be running under ldm but
> the config file shows oper as the admin user:
>
> xcd_admin="oper"
> xcd_admin_home="/home/oper"
> xcd_admin_profile="$xcd_admin_home/.profile"
>
> It does not look like the file was updated recently.
>
> Here is a sample of the error messages we are seeing in /var/adm/messages:
>
> Aug 19 16:52:30 unidata2-new.ssec.wisc.edu genunix: [ID 603404 kern.notice]
> NOTICE: core_log: dcgrib2[6390] core dumped:
> /data/core/core.dcgrib2.6390.u8858
> Aug 19 16:52:36 unidata2-new.ssec.wisc.edu genunix: [ID 603404 kern.notice]
> NOTICE: core_log: dcgrib2[6656] core dumped:
> /data/core/core.dcgrib2.6656.u8858
>
> The error state has existed for almost 4 hours as I type this.

The McIDAS-XCD decoders running on unidata2-new are from the Unidata
McIDAS-X/XCD distribution.  This installation eliminates the use of
an 'oper' account; the running of the XCD data monitors and decoding
processes is handled in the 'ldm' account, and the configuration of
the XCD data monitors, etc. is handled in the 'mcidas' account.  I
eliminated the 'oper' part of McIDAS installations in the Unidata
McIDAS-X/XCD release as soon as XCD was allowed (by Bob Fox and
then Tom Achtor) to be bundled with Unidata McIDAS.  This was over
12 years ago (I think).

Anyway, the problem is with a GEMPAK decoder run from an 'ldm'
pattern-action file.  I will let our GEMPAK guy know that the
installation on the machine needs attending to.

re:
> Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the confusion...

Ticket ID: OKF-212399