[GEMPAK #QKW-606782]: ERA-interim and Gempak

Hi Shawn,

So far I've had no luck decoding the ERA-interim grib files, likely because of
the uneven grid spacing that GEMPAK has trouble handling.  It may not be
possible at all, I'm sorry to say, but I'm still looking for possible solutions.

The IDV is known to handle these grids, though, so that may be a solution for
the moment.

Michael
Unidata Support

> Full Name: Shawn Milrad
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: 6.2.0
> Operating System:
> Hardware:
> Description of problem:
>
> Hi,
>
> We're currently downloading the ERA-interim dataset in grib format off of
> the NCAR server.  Currently, nagrib and nagrib2 are not able to convert
> any files to gempak format.  Does this dataset have the same problem
> that the ERA-40 had?  i.e. is it impossible to convert to Gempak format
> because the grid spacing was not uniform (that's what I remember the
> ERA-40 issue being)?
>
> Is there any way around this so that the dataset can be used with Gempak?
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn Milrad

Ticket ID: QKW-606782
Department: Support GEMPAK