[GEMPAK #QXF-858200]: Installing Gempak on Intel based Mac OSX Lion

Hi Abraham,

.profile (located in your home directory) is the standard BASH shell login file
which contains environmental variables.  .cshrc is the equivalent file for CSH
shells. type the command 'echo $SHELL' to see what shell you're using.

When it's said that these files should have /opt/local/bin first in your path,
it means the environmental variable $PATH, which contains a number of
directories.  You just want to make sure that the directory /opt/local/bin is
first.

If you're new to using Unix shells (OS X terminal included), you'll want to
look online for something like a "Basic Unix Shell Tutorial" to become familiar
with basic command like ls, cd and more.

Michael

> Hi there,
>
> I am a Meteorology student at NCSU and I am currently trying to install
> Garp on my system I have read through
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/doc/install_osx.html and
> installed macports and xcode.
>
> I don't know what .profile is and how to complete step 2. Do you have any
> advice for someone that does not know a whole lot about navigation through
> a terminal window?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>

> Abraham

Ticket ID: QXF-858200