[GEMPAK #RUK-532134]: GEMPAK decoders

Hi Marty,

To address the last part first, GPLT processes can become hung - indefinitely,
it seems - if the plotting package is not ended with 'gpend'.  The program
'cleanup -c' will take care of any hung GEMPAK processes.  The reason you're
seeing these hung processes is likely a missing 'gpend' call after any program
which calls the gplt device driver.  You can also add the call in a user's
.logout file just to be sure.

You should be able to handle 60 processes without trouble, even scripts which
call a number of programs, but if you notice system slowness or more hung
processes when there are that many going at once, it will be worth it to look
into it.

Michael

> Thanks Michael,
>
> We now have one more gempak question. We have been running ldm and gempak
> on 3 machines. We have purchased a new server to run them and consolidate
> the functions. Is there a limit to the number of gempak processes that run
> simultaneously. For example, suppose students in a class start 30
> processes, but they all don't finish. An hour later, 30 more processes are
> started, so potentially there are 60 processes running. Will this create
> problems. I ask as one of our instructors has noticed that there are
> "empty" gempak processes thrashing on one of the machines we are replacing.
>
> Marty Leach
>
> address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Hi Martin,
> >
> > In the directory $OS_BIN you will find all "dc" programs, which can be
> > copied to the LDM decoder directory with the command (as user LDM):
> >
> > cp $OS_BIN/dc* ~ldm/decoders/
> >
> > Michael James
> > Unidata
> >

> > > HI,
> > >
> > > I installed gempak6.4.0 to work with ldm and am interested in the dc
> > > decoders. I look at the list on ...software/gempak/tutorial/decoders.html
> > > and what is in /usr/local/gempak/NAWIPS/unidata/ldmbridge. The codes in
> > > ldmbridge are only a subset of the tutorial list. Where do I find the
> > > others or how do I obtain them?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Marty Leach
> > >

> > Ticket Details