[GEMPAK #ISV-733086]: Hi - Hoping you can help

> I am looking to make a high resolution radar image using your GEMPAK
> software.  I'd prefer to use your 1km images but I think the resolution
> may not be good enough (of course I realize I'd be limited by the level
> 3 data resolution). But in a nutshell I'd need a very smooth/contoured
> image and I'm not sure how to accomplish that. I would have to winterize
> the images as well for snow/ice using the RUC.
>
> So I have a few questions:
>
> 1. Can I accomplish the higher res look I need by using some type of smoothing
> algorithm built into your software using your 1km mosaic? How many pixels
> high/wide can the image be?

Hi Jeff,

While GEMPAK does not contain any smoothing function for rasterized radar
images, the NEXRAD level3 high-res N0Q reflectivity product will display with
95 color levels.  With the programs 'nex2gini' or 'nex2img' you can create a
composite of N0Q while specifically defining the boundaries and size of the
image.  See the manual page for a description of the program and example:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/gempak/manual/programs_index?nex2img

> 2. Do I need NOAAPort to get the necessary raw radar files if I decide to use
> GEMPAK to make the mosaic. Where can I obtain the raw data?

You will probably want to use the LDM (
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ ) to ingest NEXRAD images for
processing with GEMPAK.

> 3. Can I use level 2 data to make a mosaic?

Unfortunately, no

> 4. What costs may be involved?

Software offered by Unidata is freely available, with site registration, but
data availability may be difficult for you as you are not on a university
network.  You'll want to read through Unidata's data usage policy here:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/data_usage.html

Best,

Michael James
Unidata