[GEMPAK #MEN-740505]: how to configure GEMPAK to display archive Unidata-Wisconsin imagery

Matthew,

These McIDAS area files are easily displayed in GEMPAK simply by specifying
SATFIL = _FILENAME_ with PROJ = sat and GAREA = dset.

An example in GPMAP:

 GAREA    = dset
 PROJ     = sat
 SATFIL   = 199707252315.goes8ir
 RADFIL   =
 IMCBAR   = 1
 LATLON   =
 PANEL    = 0
 TITLE    = 1
 TEXT     = 1
 CLEAR    = YES
 DEVICE   = XW
 GEMPAK-GPMAP>run

Although "*.goes12co2" files aren't handled out-of-the-box as there's no entry
in $GEMTBL/sat/imgtyp.tbl.

"*.profile" files appear to be netCDF, and a quick attempt at decoding to
GEMPAK grid format with DCREANAL failed.  If the display of these files is
important, let me know, I'll work on a solution.  For now, though, you should
be fine simply defining SATFIL as the file name.

Michael James
Unidata

> I'm very unaware of how to view the files which end in .goes9vis, .goes9ir,
> .profile, etc. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can view the
> satellite imagery and other data that was given to me.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Matthew Potter

Ticket ID: MEN-740505
Department: Support GEMPAK