[GEMPAK #RJD-210253]: Radar to GRIB

There are actually two easy solutions.  The first is to edit
$GEMTBL/config/datatype.tbl to point to where the LDM is writing the NIDS
files.  The second is to edit the LDM pattern action to decode / file the
incoming data to where NEXRIII is defined in datatype.tbl.   Either solution
will work, you just want these paths to be the same.

About your /data/ldm/nids/YYYYMMDD/%SITE%_YYYYMMDD.nids files, I'd have to see
your pqact.conf entry for NIDS.

The pattern action I use and suggest others use is:

# Use this action to file everything
NEXRAD  ^SDUS[2357]. .... ([0-3][0-9])([0-2][0-9])([0-6][0-9]).*/p(...)(...)
        FILE    -overwrite      -close
data/gempak/nexrad/NIDS/\5/\4/\4_(\1:yyyy)(\1:mm)\1_\2\3

This way the products are files by Station ID (\5), then Product (\4), then the
file name is written with product (\4) and year/month/day, resulting in files
structured accordingly:

cd $RAD
du | grep FTG
4.5M    ./NIDS/FTG/DHR
836K ./NIDS/FTG/DPA
1.5M    ./NIDS/FTG/DSP
3.5M    ./NIDS/FTG/DVL
1.8M    ./NIDS/FTG/EET
4.7M    ./NIDS/FTG/N0Q
2.2M    ./NIDS/FTG/N0R
2.6M    ./NIDS/FTG/N0S
 12M    ./NIDS/FTG/N0U
2.6M    ./NIDS/FTG/N0V
1.6M    ./NIDS/FTG/N0Z
1.1M    ./NIDS/FTG/N1P
3.9M    ./NIDS/FTG/N1Q
2.1M    ./NIDS/FTG/N1S
8.9M    ./NIDS/FTG/N1U
3.1M    ./NIDS/FTG/N2Q
1.8M    ./NIDS/FTG/N2S
so on an so forth.

Michael

> Michael,
>
> It appears that my problem wasn't with the conversion to grib, but with
> the creation of the gempak grid file in the first place.  Our system
> isn't set up in a way that has the NIDS files where the datatype.tbl
> file says the NEXRIII should be.  The person who handles our ldm feed
> doesn't think this is easy to remedy, so I'm looking for other options.
> That leads us to a few more questions...
>
> First, is there any easy work-around to make gdradr point to where NIDS
> files currently reside on our system?  Currently, there are nids files
> located in a directory structure like
> /data/ldm/nids/YYYYMMDD/%SITE%_YYYYMMDD.nids.  Honestly, I don't know
> what is in these files.  They are, however, constantly updating.
>
> Second, if option 1 isn't possible, is there a way to convert the
> NEXRCOMP image files to n0r grid files?  I played around with IMG2GD
> briefly (which I understand is meant for satellite imagery), but once
> the grid file was "created," it didn't contain any n0r data.
>
> Thanks again for the help.
>
> - Jeff
>

> On 8/18/2011 12:33 PM, Unidata GEMPAK Support wrote:
> > Jeff,
> >
> > I have a process that hopefully works for you.
> >
> > beginning with the n0r grid in a file called radr.gem
> >
> > gdgrib2
> >
> >   GDFILE   = radr.gem
> >   GBFILE   = radr.grb
> >   GFUNC    = n0r
> >   GDATTIM  = last
> >   GLEVEL   = 0
> >   GVCORD   = none
> >   PROJ     = mer
> >   GRDAREA  = us
> >   KXKY     = 720;500
> >   CPYFIL   =
> >   G2TBLS   =
> >   G2IS     =
> >   G2IDS    =
> >   G2PDT    =
> >   G2DRT    =
> >   WMOHDR   = NCAR
> > GEMPAK-GDGRIB2>r
> >
> > this will produce a grib2 file radr.grb
> >
> > checking with wgrib2:
> >
> > 1:0:16Z17aug2011:BREF Base Reflectivity [dB]:lvl1=(1,0) lvl2=(1,-1):surface
> > - surface:anl:
> >
> > and decoding back to a gempak grid with dcgrib2:
> >
> > dcgrib2 radr2.gem<  radr.grb
> >   Opening WMO Originating Center Table wmocenter.tbl...
> >   Opening WMO GRIB2 Parameter Table g2varswmo2.tbl...
> >   Opening WMO GRIB2 Vertical Coordinate Table g2vcrdwmo2.tbl...
> >

> > gdinfo on this new radr2.gem file shows:
> >
> >   GDFILE   = radr2.gem
> >   LSTALL   = YES OUTPUT   = T
> >   GDATTIM  = last
> >   GLEVEL   = 0
> >   GVCORD   = none
> >   GFUNC    = n0r
> >   GEMPAK-GDINFO>r
> >
> >   GRID FILE: radr2.gem
> >
> >   GRID NAVIGATION:
> >       PROJECTION:          MER
> >       ANGLES:                 0.0     0.0     0.0
> >       GRID SIZE:          720 500
> >       LL CORNER:              19.00   -119.00
> [...]

Ticket ID: RJD-210253
Department: Support GEMPAK