[GEMPAK #GVN-932331]: GARP vs NMAP2

Hi David,

I'm traveling at the moment so I'm afraid I can't offer much in-depth help, but
in the directory $NMAP_RESTORE files can be edited to customize the contouring
and such.  Vertical cross sections, however, can't be done in NMAP2, it's
always been something that GARP could handle better.  I'll have to get back to
you again in a couple of weeks when I'm back in the lab and can play with NMAP2
directly to answer your questions.

Best,

Michael James
Unidata

> Hello,
>
> I had an exchange with you a few months ago when I asked
> some questions about GARP. You told me to move on to NMAP2.
>
> I have been looking at NMAP2, and it's pretty cool, but I
> don't think I can use it to teach my class. There are many
> things that I can't do with it that I can, and need to do,
> that I can do with GARP.
>
> These include: plotting analysis fields only, controlling
> contour levels and plotting styles, and making vertical
> cross sections. Or even just doing an arbitrary, single
> contour plot of a single level.
>
> I've looked at NMAP2 pretty closely but I can't find ways
> to do these things. Am I missing it? If not, what would
> you recommend?
>
> Thanks for your time.
>

> Dave Nolan
>

> > Hi David,
> >
> > COMET, which originally developed GARP, has not contributed to or supported
> > the GRAP program for a very long time.  Because of this I always encourage
> > long-time GARP users to make the switch to NMAP2, thought I understand some
> > prefer the GARP interface.  However, GARP is provided "as is" and the
> > package
> > is no longer supported by Unidata.  I know that's not the answer you were
> > hoping for, but given the age and fragility of GARP code, Unidata simply
> > can't
> > offer support for the program.  If there's help I can offer with the
> > transition from GARP to NMAP2 please let me know.  Additionally, I would
> > encourage you to upgrade your 5.11.4 installation to the most recent 6.2.0 -
> > or given another week or two, upgrade to the upcoming 6.4.0 release.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Michael James
> > Unidata
> >

> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I use the Unidata/LDM and GARP for visualizing weather and model data
> >> for a synoptic meteorology class. We have GEMPAK 5.4.11 installed on a
> >> Linux machine running OpenSUSE.
> >>
> >> I have a few problems with GARP as it is now. They are:
> >>
> >> 1) When you use "time matching," and the times are selected for you,
> >> they no longer appear as grayed out times, but as solid black bars so
> >> that you cannot read the times. An example of the blacked out times is
> >> attached. I noticed this change when we upgraded to the current version.
> >>
> >> This exacerbates things if students get their times messed up.
> >>
> >> 2) Also, when you plot model data at various height levels, the level
> >> of the data no longer appears in the title at the bottom (like it
> >> used to). An example of this is also attached. This also makes it more
> >> difficult for students.
> >>
> >> I would very much appreciate your help with this. I contacted Unidata
> >> support about this last year but my correspondence was dropped, several
> >> times.
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >>
> >> Dave Nolan
> >>

> >> --
> [...]