[GEMPAK #ZXE-379509]: semaphore issue

Hi Joe,

"semget: No space left on device" means there is no more space left in
Semaphore Arrays (in this case for whichever GEMPAK program you're running).
The cause is programs that don't terminate properly still "use" semaphores in
the kernel, although the corresponding process does not exist anymore.

With GEMPAK this is most commonly caused by not executing "gpend" at the end of
scripts.

You can look at the semaphore arrays on your server using the command

ipcs -s

If you see too many of them and need to clear them out, you can kill each one
with the command

ipcrm -s # - where # is the message queue ID

You can read more about semaphores here:

http://sunsite.nus.sg/LDP/LDP/tlk/node58.html

Hope this helps,

Michael

> Greetings -
>
> We're using gdgrib (GEMPAK6.2.0) to convert some CAPS ensembles from
> Gempak format to Grib. Things seemed to work OK at first, but now we're
> seeing messages like this:
>
> msgget: No space left on device
> msgget: No space left on device
> semget csproc: No space left on device
>
> for most of the fields we're trying to process. (We run numerous files
> periodically during the day, and one works OK on occasion, but we see
> these errors in most cases.) I know next to nothing about semaphores,
> but wondered if it's possible that they might be getting created but not
> released, and we've hit some system limit on how many can be out there.
>
> Just casting about to try to diagnose our problem. Any thoughts would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Joe
>
> --
> Joseph S. Wakefield        0  Earth System Research Lab
> NOAA/ESRL/GSD R/GSD4      /_  Global Systems Division
> 325 Broadway             /\   Information Systems Branch
> Boulder, CO 80305-3328  / /   Support Section
> 303-497-6053 / -3096 fax      http://esrl.noaa.gov/gsd/isb/

Ticket ID: ZXE-379509
Department: Support GEMPAK