[GEMPAK #LUA-877658]: Creating gpmap scripts, with errors...

Hi David,

The BUFR message is confusing for sure.  I did notice a few things that needed
fixing in your script.  I'm assuming that $DATA_PATH is where you want the gif
images to be written.

* DEVICE should point to the image file name, using $DATA_PATH

* after $CURRENT_SAT is determined, CD back to $DATA_PATH

* since a satellite image is used, PROJ must be set to "sat"

* an extra empty line after "r" must be included, to satisfy the "Enter <cr> to
accept parameters or type EXIT" prompt in GPMAP

Give this a go and let me know if you have any more questions.

----------

#!/bin/bash
#export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
source $NAWIPS/Gemenviron.profile

SAT_PATH=/data/ldm/data/gempak/images/sat/GOES-11/4km/IR/
DATA_PATH=/data/ldm/mapwall/current/g11/
cd $SAT_PATH
CURRENT_SAT=`ls * | tail -1`
cd $DATA_PATH
gpmap << EOF
MAP       = 3
GAREA     = 10;-180;60;-90
PROJ      = sat
CLEAR     = yes
DEVICE    = gif|$DATA_PATH$CURRENT_SAT.gif|1920;1080
SATFIL    = $SAT_PATH$CURRENT_SAT

EOF
gpend

> Good afternoon,
> I have spent today perusing the posted email correspondences related to the
> gpmap function, and I am now at a loss!  I have created a simple test script:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> #export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
> source $NAWIPS/Gemenviron.profile
>
> SAT_PATH=/data/ldm/data/gempak/images/sat/GOES-11/4km/IR/
> DATA_PATH=/data/ldm/mapwall/current/g11/
> cd $SAT_PATH
> CURRENT_SAT=`ls * | tail -1`
> gpmap << EOF
> MAP       = 3
> GAREA     = 10;-180;60;-90
> PROJ      = NPS
> CLEAR     = yes
> DEVICE    = gif|$SAT_PATH$CURRENT_SAT|1920;1080
> SATFIL    = $SAT_PATH$CURRENT_SAT

> EOF
> gpend
>

> As I am executing this script (or if I enter gpmap on the command line)...it
> prompts me with "Enter BUFR message file name:"  Using my script, it assumes
> that the file name is "MAP"...the next field in the script.  For background,
> my goal is to eventually have a directory of GIF images to animate for
> display (of various different NIMAGE and surface obs. and modeled data
> fields).  I am relatively new to GEMPAK coding...figured out the LDM about
> two weeks ago, so I apologize if this question is elementary.  Thanks for
> your help!
>

> David M. Stokowski
> Client Support Analyst II
> Department of Atmospheric Science