[GEMPAK #QKI-191889]: NetCDF to GEMPAK

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately I've been unsuccessful in my attempts.  DCREANAL (from dcreanal2)
was written to convert reanalysis data files which used the COARDS convention
for storage in netCDF, so if your files do not use the COARDS convention the
converter will have to be modified for it's own CDL.

There is a program available at

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/facstaff/rmctc/cdf_cvt/

which converts netCDF to GEMPAK grids, but I ran into some trouble installing
some of the required packages and libraries.

I'm sorry I can't be more help at the moment.  I lack knowledge of netCDF but
know that it has been a difficult task in the past to convert from netCDF to
GEMPAK or grib2, as the storage convention is user-defined which makes a
general converter more difficult to develop.

In a debugger I see the error reported by nc_open is -51:

#define NC_ENOTNC       (-51)   /* Not a netcdf file */

Which may not help us much.

I will have to speak to the netCDF folks here at Unidata tomorrow for some
advice and will update you with what I find out.

Best,

Michael James
Unidata

Ticket ID: QKI-191889