[GEMPAK #UMM-268494]: Help decoding ABOM ACCESS Model data

Using the file IDY25200.pres.msl.2010122906.003.surface.grb for this example,
with wgrib I see the originating center ID is 1 so I added the following line
to cntrgrib1.tbl

001 ACCESS                                                           ACSS

I renamed grib128.tbl to acssgrib128.tbl and copied it to $GEMTBL/grid/

I then had to reformat acssgrib128.tbl following the column format of other
grib tables (see wmogrib128.tbl); the provided grib tables are formatted as

ID | GNAM | UNITS | NAME

when they should be in the order

ID | NAME | UNITS |GNAM | SCALE | MISSING | HZREMAP | DIRECTION

An example of this for MSLP (ID 151) is

!
! ACSSGRIB128.TBL -- GRIB 1 parameter conversion table version 128
!
!ID# NAME                             UNITS                GNAM         SCALE
MISSING HZREMAP DIRECTION
!
151 mean sea level pressure           Pa                   MSLP             0
-9999.00       0         0

If you run dcgrib2 at this point the PDS EXT STRING (C009) will be appended to
the end of the parameter name (so GPARM = MSLPC009), so you have to provide the
option -e ENSEXT=0

( full command: dcgrib2 -e ENSEXT=0 pres.gem <
IDY25200.pres.msl.2010122906.003.surface.grb)

so the PDS EXT parameter name extensions are not appended.

With this I was able to decode the MSLP grid (from GDINFO):

 GRID NAVIGATION:
     PROJECTION:          CED
     GRID SIZE:          680 544
     LL CORNER:             -55.00     95.00
     UR CORNER:               4.73    169.69

 GRID ANALYSIS BLOCK:
      UNKNOWN ANALYSIS TYPE

 Number of grids in file:     1

 Maximum number of grids in file:   5000

  NUM       TIME1              TIME2           LEVL1 LEVL2  VCORD PARM
    1     101229/0600F003                          0         NONE MSLP

The step that should have you on your way is simply the renaming and
reformatting of grib128.tbl.

Michael James
Unidata

> Sure, I wasn't trying to rush you, it's just that I understand it's the
> holidays and everything, and certainly understand if it will be a few days.
>
> Thanks,
> Robert

Ticket ID: UMM-268494
Department: Support GEMPAK