[GEMPAK #MJB-537359]: Error in dfgwfs?

Jack,

The definition of sigma in dfgwfs includes the factor of 2 (or sqrt of 2) that
would conventionally be expressed inside the weighting function.

sgma = (float)nwl / ( PI * sqrt ( 2.0 ) );

which results in

sig2 = sgma**2 = nwl**2 / 2 * PI**2

therefore the factor of 2 is included in sig2 the variable aa:

aa = 1. / ( sig2 * PI );

which is expressed in the weighting function (with sig2 rather than 2 * sig2):

w[iw-1][jw-1] = aa * exp ( - ( x*x + y*y ) / sig2 );

if the factor of 2 were not included in sgma, it would be accounted for in aa
and w as:

aa = 1. / ( 2 ** sig2 * PI );

which is expressed in the weighting function:

w[iw-1][jw-1] = aa * exp ( - ( x*x + y*y ) / 2 ** sig2 );

so essentially we're only changing the definition of sgma in dfgwfs.f to
include the factor of 2 so we don't need to account for it in aa and w.

I did a quick napkin run-down of the terms and the math seems correct.  Do you
agree?

Michael James
Unidata

> Hi,
>
> I was looking at the code for the Gaussian smoother in GEMPAK called dfgwfs
> and came across what might be an error, but I wanted to run it by you to make
> sure.  The weighting function used is:
>

> Where  and N is the number of grid points in a wavelength.  I'm wondering if
> ? should be given instead by .  This value for sigma seems to be correct
> given your definition of W.  Would someone please take a look?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Jack
>

> Jack Dostalek
>
> Cooperative Institute for Research in the Atmosphere
>
> Colorado State University
>
> Foothills Campus
>
> 1375 Campus Delivery
>
> Fort Collins, CO 80523-1375