[GEMPAK #TPI-961663]: Error reading MTSAT McIDAS area files

Hi Kwan,

re:
> Thanks for your detailed explanations.  I think I will give McIDAS-V a
> try.

Very good.

re:
> I have attempted to install McIDAS-V on a Vista.  But it appears
> failing to load any images from ADDE servers.

I am wondering if you tried this a long time ago.  I know that many
people run the IDV under vista with no problems.  One in particular
is always accessing Meteosat imagery via an ADDE server at EUMETSAT
(one has to be allowed to access that server).

re:
> I have not pursue this
> further.  I will try installing it on my home XP.

If your video card supports OpenGL 1.3, it should work nicely.

re:
> You said, "You could translate them into Jython scripts and run them
> in McIDAS-V or the IDV."  My translate, did you mean to translate
> using a program, or did you mean translating after learning Jython
> myself?

You would have to learn Jython.  This would not be that hard for you.

re:
> You mentioned, VMware player.  I currently use Cygwin.  How do they
> compare?  You also mentioned Linux virtual machines.  Do they allow
> you to "run" Linux in a Windows based environment?

VMware Player is a Windows application (it exists for other OSes also).
You run it, and then load a "virtual appliance" (their terminology, not
mine) into it.  Many of the virtual appliances that are available are full
blown Linux distributions.  I, for instance, downloaded the vanilla
Fedora 11 virtual appliance, ran it from within VMware Player, and
then installed the various packages I needed to build McIDAS (e.g.,
gcc, gfortran, flex, libXt, ncurses, etc.).  When you are in the
Linux virtual appliance, you are really in Linux.  Everything is the
same.  It really is a nice environment!

Got to run...

Ticket ID: TPI-961663
Department: Support GEMPAK