[GEMPAK #WRV-501712]: BUFKIT files

Hi Josh,

There does not exist a program to convert bufkit sounding files into gempak
sounding files.

If you are able to reformat the bukfit sounding file you can then import the
data into a gempak sounding file using SNCFIL and SNEDIT

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/gempak/manual/programs_index?sncfil

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/gempak/manual/programs_index?snedit

Note the variable SNEFIL:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/gempak/manual/variables_index?snefil

"SNEFIL is a text file which may be created using the program SNLIST
     with F as an output device.  A text editor may be used to create or
     change the edit file."

This file must be a properly formatted, so use SNLIST, as mentioned above, to
create a sounding file and use that as a template for creating your own
sounding file with the bukfit data.

This method might be difficult or easy depending on your familiarity with
GEMPAK programs, but beyond offering this I'm afraid we don't support bukfit
files.

The GEMPAK tutorial page for SNLIST will help you become familiar with how to
use the program if you have not before:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/tutorial/snlist.html

Michael James
Unidata User Support

> Hello
>
> My name is Josh Barnwell and I am a masters student at the University of
> Nebraska-Lincoln and I'm trying to plot bufkit files into gempak.  What
> I would like to do is take archived .buf files and plot them with archived
> sounding data on the same plot to see any differences/similarities.  Is
> there any way to plot .buf files with gempak either directly or have you
> heard of any programs/scripts that converts .buf files into a format gempak
> can use?
>
> Thanks
>
> Josh

> With Windows Live, you can organize, edit, and share your photos.
> http://www.windowslive.com/Desktop/PhotoGallery

Ticket ID: WRV-501712
Department: Support GEMPAK