[GEMPAK #CNW-692513]: Radar and Lightning advice

Alex,

I would suggest using SFMAP to plot the lightning point data overlayed on the
radar image.

SFFILE should point to your lightning point/sfc file and RADFIL should point to
the radar image file you wish to use.  Remember to set PROJ = rad, and also to
keep track of the DATTIM variable and how it should be set when dealing with
two sets of data that may not be reporting with the same frequency.

A few examples of plotted lightning data are covered in the online GEMPAK
tutorial located at

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/tutorial/exam.html

best,

michael james
unidata support staff

> Hello,
>
> I need to create radar images overlaid with lightning data.  The radar images
> that we are using are level 3 and encompass all the radar sites in the Great
> Plains.  The lightning data is already in gempak format. We have discussed
> numerous different ways to this including using nex2gini to create gini files
> and then use gpmap to plot radar and lightning data.
>
> My question is: What would be the best way in your opinion to go about this?
>
> Thank you very much?
>
> -Alex
>
> Alexander R. Gibbs
> Meteorology/Climatology Graduate Student
> Masters Candidate
> NSF GK-12 Fellow, Resident Scientist
> Bessey 131

Ticket ID: CNW-692513