[GEMPAK #GZK-619275]: Gempak binaries fail

Hi Mike,

re:
> Package Version: /GEMPAK5.11.1/os/linux64/bin/
> Operating System: 2.6.18-92.el5 #1 SMP Tue Jun 10 18:51:06 EDT 2008 x86_64
> x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> Hardware: PC
> Description of problem:

> I installed the gempak bianaries on a farily vanilla linux system and they
> fail. The first attached
> shows what's in the command window when I start NTL and then when I hit the
> GARP button. The second
> shows the weird ntl window that appears when NTL is entered on command line.
> Maybe I'm missing some
> libraries, but it was not obvious from the errors. I have installed binaries
> on many machines over
> the years and none has failed, so I thought I better check this out. The
> command line programs seem
> to work and the decoders, but I get strange log messages for example:

> Nov 25 11:03:02 lightning kernel: dcmsfc[15047]: segfault at 0000000001ef9000
> rip 000000000042721a rsp
> 00007fff8468c2c0 error 4
> Nov 25 11:03:02 lightning kernel: dcacft[15046]: segfault at 000000000225e000
> rip 00000000004278d2 rsp
> 00007fff3f7bd530 error 4

The indication from the text file you attached, garp-errors.txt, is that all of
the problems relate
to the X Windows environment on your machine:

ntl
ntl: Symbol `_XmStrings' has different size in shared object, consider
re-linking

Comment:

- this warning indicates that the shared library supports a different size of
_XmStrings
  than was expected

A quick Google (tm) search of this message led to the following from a user of
a completely
different package:

http://osdir.com/ml/debugging.ddd.general/2004-07/msg00118.html

  > > I suspect that this is the problem with lesstif library that I have
  > > (0.93.94). But I can't find a way to fix it. Anyone has solution for
  > > this?
  >
  > Sorry. I've found the problem already. It was libXm.so.2.1 laying in
  > /usr/X11R6/lib. (From OpenMotif?). After removing it things started to
  > work.

Question:

- given the above comment, what is the output of the following:

  ldd /usr/local/gempak/GEMPAK5.11.1/os/linux64/bin/garp

-- continued output in garp-errors.txt:

Resource File:  /usr/local/gempak/GEMPAK5.11.1/resource/Ntop
graphic, satellite, radar, fax -- 33 95 20 2

GARP:
Invoke ... /usr/local/gempak/GEMPAK5.11.1/os/linux64/bin/garp
/usr/local/gempak/GEMPAK5.11.1/os/linux64/bin/garp: Symbol `_XmStrings' has
different size in shared object, consider re-linking
G A R P - v2.1 starting...
Warning: Cannot find callback list in XtAddCallback
Warning: Cannot find callback list in XtAddCallback
Warning: Cannot find callback list in XtAddCallback
.
.
.
Warning: Cannot find callback list in XtAddCallback
Warning:
    Name: speed_scale
    Class: XmScale
    The specified scale value is greater than the maximum scale value.

Warning: Cannot find callback list in XtAddCallback
.
.
.
X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  14 (X_GetGeometry)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x1
  Serial number of failed request:  876

Questions:

- did you install the 64-bit binary 5.11.1 distribution, or the 32-bit binary
- how did you install the LessTif package

> ...but the dcmetr and dcacft log files look OK?

Given that the errors you report are all related to X or Motif, I would not
expect
there to be any similar errors for non-X applications like the GEMPAK decoders.

> Thanks for any suggestions.

In addition to the 'ldd' invocation I suggested above, please use 'locate' to
see where
you might have Motif libraries installed:

locate libXm.so

Ticket ID: GZK-619275
Department: Support GEMPAK