[GEMPAK #SME-633025]: Confirming Linux 64 Binary problem with 5.11.1 and Fedora 6

Hi Samuel,

re:
> O.K. I'll try installing the 32 bit version on our 64 bit machines,
> but this does throw a flag that there is a problem with 5.11.1 that doesn't
> show up in 5.10.4.

I agree in principle.  The problem is that others are running without error
on 64-bit Linux machines.

> Wouldn't this also be a problem for RHEL 5?

This is hard to say without figuring out exactly what is causing the problem you
are experiencing.

> I don't think we have an option to
> upgrade from RHEL 5 to RHEL 7(The equivalent of upgrading from Fedora 6 to
> Fedora 8).

Building the binaries from source is always an option.  This approach should
eliminate
the problems that arise because of a mismatch in system libraries used in the
build
of the binary distribution and the ones available on the local machine(s).  One
user
here in NCAR/EOL was having a problem with one of the 5.11.1 decoders being run
by
the LDM; a source build on his machine (Debian Linux, not a RedHat variant)
eliminated
the problem for him.

Ticket ID: SME-633025
Department: Support GEMPAK