[GEMPAK #AZW-917553]: Availability of a National Reflectivity Mosaic of Composite Reflectivity (NCR)?

Hi Greg,

re:
> Is there a National product that contains composite reflectivity
> (meaning the maximum reflectivity from all tilts) like the NOWRAD
> product?

No.  The national composites that are being created are:

1 km National N0R (Base Reflectivity)
2 km National N1P (1 hour precipitation totals)
4 km National NTP (storm total precipitation totals)
4 km National NET (echo tops)

> I'm using the 1km base reflectivity composite but for
> comparison with a model, one of our users wants to see a max
> reflectivity composite of all levels on a national scale. The WSI
> NOWRAD mosiac provided this type of product in the past. Now that it
> is no longer available, using a base reflectivity composite is a bit
> like comparing apples and oranges.

I agree.  Presumably, the script that Chiz developed to create the
other composites could be modified to produce a composite of the
Composite Reflectivity.

The national composite mosaics grib messages are created by the script,
runmosaic.csh:

#!/bin/csh -f

source ~gempak/Gemenviron

limit coredumpsize unlimited

setenv RADNTS ~gempak/scripts/radar_grib
cd $GEMDATA/radar

while (1 == 1)

gdradr << EOF
 restore $RADNTS/mosaic.nts

EOF

sleep 30

end

Here is the GEMPAK 'mosaic.nts' file used by runmosaic.csh:

GRDAREA 23.5;-120;47.305655;-63.611056
PROJ    lcc/40;-100;40
KXKY    4800;3000
GDPFUN  n0r ! net