[GEMPAK #AKC-600714]: ntl error: libXm.so.2 (cannot open shared object)

Hi Pete,

re:
> Hi and thanks for the quick reply.

No worries.  We have been struggling to provide the support that our GEMPAK
users deserve after our GEMPAK guru left us in January.

> Installed OpenMotif - as root, did a `yum install openmotif` just fine.
> Verified by doing a  `yum list openmotif` and openmotif.x86_64
> 2.30-0.3.el5 marked as "installed"
> However only saw /usr/lib/libXm.so.2  but not in /usr/lib64  (where my
> libraries are needed due to my x86_64 architecture)

Interesting...

> So from /usr/lib64 did a `ln -s /usr/lib/libXm.so.2 libXm.so.2
> NTL, NWX, NMAP2 failed due to wrong ELF class error (seems logical since
> /usr/lib/libXm.so.2 isnt appropriate for x86_64 systems)

I would have done a 'file /usr/lib/libXm.so.2' to make sure that it
was the 64-bit library before doing the link, but the result would
have been the same: the library was 32-bit.

> Noticed libXm.so.4.0.0 in /usr/lib64 and therefore deleted the symbolic
> link /usr/lib64/libXm.so.2 and redefined it as follows..
> cd /usr/lib64  then   ln -s libXm.so.4.0.0 libXm.so.2
> NTL, NWS, NMAP2 launched with errors "Symbol `_XmStrings` has different
> size in shared object, consider re-linking` and `Warning: Cannot find
> callback list in XtAddCallback`

Very interesting.

> Am I missing something obvious???

I don't think so.  Perhaps it would be advisable to uninstall what you
installed and try to get a version of OpenMotif that matches what is
expected by the binary.  The other alternative would be to build the
distribution from source on your machine. That way, the appropriate
library would be used in the link.

Ticket ID: AKC-600714
Department: Support GEMPAK