[GEMPAK #RPN-674924]: displaying n0r images in GEMPAK

Hi Rick,

re:
> Tom, thanks for your help.

No worries.  I am not a GEMPAK expert, but I will help as much as I can.

re: Where did you get the N0R composite image?

> We received the images from Chiz a couple of weeks ago for a project at
> COMET.

OK.  Then it is virtually assured that the image type is supported by the
Unidata distribution of GEMPAK (it is also directly usable in Unidata McIDAS).

> I'm assuming that since we received them from UNIDATA they are the PNG
> compressed images from the IDD datastream.

I am assuming the same thing.

> Yes are using the UNIDATA GEMPAK binary release but we would like to display
> the images using a non-GUI GEMPAK routine such as gpmap. Is this
> possible or must only nmap2 be used?

Yes, it is possible to display the image outside of NMAP2.  A quick browse
through the online GEMPAK training workshop indicates that gpmap can be used
to display imagery.  It should, therefore, support display of the composite
radar products (which, by the way, are created by a GEMPAK process).

Comment: I support McIDAS, so my knowledge of GEMPAK is limited, but growing now
that Chiz has left.

> If so then are there any special parameter settings that I need to be
> using such as for lookup tables?

I believe that you will use the SATFIL= specification in gpmap, not RADFIL=.
Also, you can specify the color Look-Up Table using the LUTFIL= option of
gpmap.  More information on the LUTFIL= option can be found in the Parameters
section of the GEMPAK Users Guide/Manual:

GEMPAK Users Guide/Manual
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/help_and_documentation/manual/

Chapter 3: GEMPAK Parameters
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/gempak/manual/variables_index

  lutfil
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/gempak/manual/variables_index?lutfil

More information on gpmap can also be found in the Programs chapter of
the GEMPAK Users Guide/Manual:

GEMPAK Users Guide/Manual
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/help_and_documentation/manual/

Chapter 4: GEMPAK Programs
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/gempak/manual/programs_index

  gpmap
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/gempak/manual/programs_index?gpmap

Again, you may get the quickest help from the members of the 'gembud' email
list.  Please remember that you need to be subscribed to a Unidata-maintained
email list before you can post to it: