[GEMPAK #RPN-674924]: displaying n0r images in GEMPAK

Hi Rick,

re:
> I have a few N0R composite radar images in PNG format  (e.g,
> n0r_20080108_1911) that I would like to display in GEMPAK; however, I am
> not familiar with this data set.

Where did you get this image?

> Can these files be displayed directly in GEMPAK using gpmap, gpnids,
> etc., or must the file be converted first using gdradr? I would prefer
> to retain the full resolution if possible.

If the image is one that we generate and send in the IDD FNEXRAD datastream,
then Unidata GEMPAK can display it directly (i.e., no conversions needed).
If your file is from some other source and it really is a PNG image, then
GEMPAK will not display it.  (NB: we use PNG to compress the data portion
of images in a couple of IDD datastreams.  The header in those images are
left uncompressed).

> I searched the support archives but did not find an answer.

Display of the N0R composite images that we distribute in the IDD is supported
out of the box for NMAP2.  This relies on the files being named in a certain
way and being found in a particular directory structure (NMAP menus are
based on file location and names).  If your installation of GEMPAK is setup
as per our recommendations, and if you are getting the N0R composites via
the IDD and filing them as per example configurations provided with our
distribution of GEMPAK, you should be able to display your images in
NMAP2 directly.

If you are not using the Unidata distribution of GEMPAK, I am not sure
if you will be able to display our images.

Just so you know, our GEMPAK guru very recently left Unidata for a position
elsewhere, and we are working as hard as we can to come up to speed on all
of the things that he added to GEMPAK so we can support the broad GEMPAK
community.  Given this, it may be useful for you to pose your question to
the very active GEMPAK community as they are likely to know the answer to
the question you are asking.  To do this, you must first subscribe to the
'gembud' email list at: