[GEMPAK #YBG-986531]: nsharp bombing out in 5.10.4

David,

Thanks for the additional information. NCEP has been doing more
work with distributions regarding the maximum number of files in a directory
(using dynamic allocation rather than predefined array lengths).

The data templates will attempt to reference datatype.tbl, but I'll check in to
the behavior when not found, or large lengthe etc.

Steve CHiswell
Unidata User Support

> Well, now I have discovered even a little bit more about this.
>
> Apparently, the 5.10.4 nsharp works (your binary or mine) if I set the
> UPA environment variable to a 5.10.4-created directory and have 5.10.4
> versions of environment variables for program and tables, but I keep
> GEMDATA pointing to a data/gempak directory this is created by running
> 5.9.4, not 5.10.4.  That GEMDATA environment variable is crucial in
> making the nsharp program work or crash.  I do not see why the 5.10.4
> data directory for GEMDATA should make nsharp bomb for the
> Load : Observed Soundings
> Area : WORLD1
> File : 071108/1200
> actions but it does.
>
> NOTE: I just tried 'unsetenv GEMDATA' and ran the above procedures for
> nsharp and saw this:
> 305 frosty% nsharp
> finished reading tables!
> Resource File:  /home/disk/frosty/ovens/NAWIPS-5.10.4/resource/Nsharp
> too many files in directory
>
> Perhaps that explains it.  Do you think this is too many files in the
> UPA, GEMDATA, or some other directory?  Perhaps Harry Edmon can
> provide some insight.
>

> David
> --
> David Ovens            e-mail: address@hidden
> Research Meteorologist    phone: (206) 685-8108
> Dept of Atm. Sciences      plan: Real-time MM5 forecasting for the
> Box 351640                        Pacific Northwest
> University of Washington          http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt
> Seattle, WA  98195               Weather Graphics and Loops
> http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~ovens/loops
>

> On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 02:05:20PM -0800, ovens wrote:
> > Well, it seems that your binary file (from yesterday) does not crash.
> > It is only the ones that have been built on our system (linux and
> > linux64) that are having this trouble.  I cannot think why.  Do you
> > have suggestions on how I could debug this?
> >
> > David
> > --
> > David Ovens          e-mail: address@hidden
> > Research Meteorologist    phone: (206) 685-8108
> > Dept of Atm. Sciences      plan: Real-time MM5 forecasting for the
> > Box 351640                        Pacific Northwest
> > University of Washington          http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt
> > Seattle, WA  98195               Weather Graphics and Loops
> >
> > http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~ovens/loops
> >

> > On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 02:49:56PM -0700, Unidata GEMPAK Support wrote:
> > >
> > > David Ovens,
> > >
> > > Your Ticket has been received, and a Unidata staff member will review it
> > > and reply accordingly. Listed below are details of this new Ticket.
> > > Please make sure the Ticket ID remains in the Subject: line on all
> > > correspondence related to this Ticket.
> > >
> > >   Ticket ID: YBG-986531
> > >   Subject: nsharp bombing out in 5.10.4
> > >   Department: Support GEMPAK
> > >

> > > Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

> [...]

Ticket ID: YBG-986531
Department: Support GEMPAK