[GEMPAK #VWZ-136850]: Creating an Ensemble Mean with GEMPAK

> I am actually trying to do this with gdtser and the problem I have run
> into is setting the yaxis. Not knowing the upper and lower bounds for
> each member causes the yaxis to scramble if the upper/lower bounds are
> different from member to member. To get around this, I have been using
> gdpoint and some scripting to find out these upper/lower bounds from
> member to member. Once that is done, I can establish the yaxis before
> running gdtser, but all that takes a lot of time.
>
> Do you know any better way to dynamically set the yaxis without having
> to use gdpoint ( I am trying to cut the process time down as much as I can)?
>
> Greg

Greg,

I don't have a quick solution. The nominal solution is to
specify the YAXIS range for the general valid ranges you would expect
for the location in question. That doesn't maximize the plot range,
but would ensure that your graph from run to run, day to day, and season
to season had a consitent axis, and not just stretching the axis for the range
of
the current run.

What you are doing with GPOINT is a clever solution for your goal, albeit time
consuming. The alternative solution I can arrive at is to either:

1) use gdstat for compute the max and min for each perturbation,
and then use the ENS_SMAX and ENS_SMIN functions within gdpoint to
get the max and min values at your point. I tried that, but it is slow
because the entire grid is being used (a subsarea could be created
for gdstat to output, but just more work).

2) I did use gdpoint such as:

GDATTIM  = f000-f384
 GDFILE   = {gefs}
 GLEVEL   = 500
 GPOINT   = den
 GVCORD   = pres
 GFUNC    = ens_smax(hght)
 SCALE    = 0
 GEMPAK-GDPOINT>

 also ens_smin(hght) which might be what you did. Otherwise, is certainly
faster than trying to do gdpoint for each HGHT for each MODEL in your ensemble.

If you have other questions let me know.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> Unidata GEMPAK Support wrote:
> >> Steve,
> >>
> >> Is there a way to generate ensemble "spaghetti" diagrams from gempak. I
> >> looked at the ens_ functions, but can't seem to find anything relevant.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Greg
> >>

> > Greg,
> >
> > To draw spaghetti diagrams, you want to display the individual members. I
> > provide
> > an wxample for nmap2 in $NMAP_RESTORE//modl/ensemble/sfc_pres_members
> >
> > In that example, it is using the gefs:NN members which are stored
> > in files gepNN_YYYYMMDDHH...etc. as defined in the datatype.tbl template
> > for GEFS.
> >
> > If you have more than the 14 members which that example plots in GDPLOT2
> > with a single
> > drawing command as:
> > GDFILE   =
> > gefs:01!gefs:02!gefs:03!gefs:04!gefs:05!gefs:06!gefs:07!gefs:08!gefs:09!gefs:10!gefs:11!gefs:12!gefs:13!gefs:14
> > LINE     = 30/1/2!29!28!27!26!25!24!23!22!21!20!19!18!17
> >
> > You would start running in to line length problems, as well a a general
> > pain to maintain when
> > new ensemble members are added (we currently get 20 from NCEP). The best
> > way to draw these to
> > a gif in a script would be to set a counter starting at 1, and set the
> > initial color to 10 for example,
> > and then draw the gefs:NN with he line color set, then advance the counter
> > and color and draw the next
> > member such as in /bin/csh:
> >
> > @ MEMBER=1
> > @ COLOR = 30
> > set CLEAR="yes"
> >
> > while ( $MEMBER <= 20 )
> >    if ( $MEMBER < 10 ) then
> >       set GDFILE=gefs:0${MEMBER}
> >    else
> >       set GDFILE=gefs:${MEMBER}
> >    endif
> >
> >    gdplot2<<EOF
> >       ! set some general common parameter values
> [...]

Ticket ID: VWZ-136850
Department: Support GEMPAK