[GEMPAK #GCC-478932]: GEMPAK - Running Gempak

> Hey Steve,
>
> Thanks for all you help. I was able to get gempak running on a different
> computer. I have some questions about NSharp though. Is there a place to find
> out how the indicies are calculated? When it calculated CAPE from a mixed
> layer parcel, is it a low-level (sfc-500m) average parcel? Also is the
> program limited to 500 points?
>
> Aloha,
> Dale

Dale,

The NSHARP program CAPE is controlled by the "PARCEL" widget, which defaults to
the most unstable level,
and not a low level average. You can click on the "PARCEL" widget, then select
"Mean Mixing Layer"
to recalculate the values shown in the right panel using thattype of layer. You
may need to click on the RESET
widget to redraw the parcel white dashed line afterwards if you want to remove
the previous line from the display.

The SNPROF prgram gives you control over the CAPE and CAPV layer depth for
computation using the "!"
qualifier as described in the STNDEX help as well as in Appendix A
($GEMPAK/txt/apx/parms.apx)
also available here:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/gempak/manual/apxA_index

To specify a 500 meter layer, you would specify STNDEX=CAPE!500 or CAPV!500
(note that 500m is the default
if you simple set STNDEX=CAPE or CAPV.

The maximum number of vertical levels in a GEMPAK upper air file is defined at
compile time as 500 in the
binary distributions I provide. You would have to build your own distribution
from source and change
LLMXLV in $GEMPAK/include/grmprm.h and GEMPRM.PRM to configure for more levels.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

Ticket ID: GCC-478932
Department: Support GEMPAK