[GEMPAK #VWZ-136850]: Creating an Ensemble Mean with GEMPAK

> Steve,
>
> I have started using the ens_ functions and they work really well. I am
> having a problem though. When I run gdplot or gdcntr with the ens_
> functions manually to create a gif image, it works fine. But when I run
> those applications within a csh script, I do not get a gif image or
> anything...not even any error messages when I look at the log file. I am
> trying to look at the ens_savg(tmpf@2%hght) with my local wrf runs with
> up to 7 members.
>
> Any ideas?

Greg,

When you run a script, or interactively to create output to a file, you have to
make sure you are running "gpend"
so that the device driver knows when you are finished adding information to the
plot window and write the output file.
Until you run gpend, you can still run other programs and create overlays etc.

If you are using the GF device driver, you also have to ensure that your script
can connect to an X server just
like your XW. If you are using the GIF device driver, then you do not need an X
server.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> Greg
>
> Unidata GEMPAK Support wrote:
> > Greg,
> >
> > The ENS_ functions available in current GEMPAK releases allow you to
> > use individual input files to create an ensemble by enclosing
> > the list of files in the curly braces eg "{file1; file2; ...fileN}" in
> > GDFILE.
> > Use ENS_SAVG() to create a mean, as describe in the "phelp gfunc"
> > help documentation for the ENS_ functions.
> >

> > I have the start of a web page showing some ensemble computations at:
> > http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/examples/ensembles/
> >
> > The examples on the web page use the GEFS ensemble members, rather than
> > a list of individual modelnames in the "{}", but you
> > might find some examples useful.
> >
> > Steve Chiswell
> > Unidata User Support
> >

> >> Back in June I attended the COMAP symposium at UCAR in Boulder. While
> >> there, I was told that it is possible to create an ensemble of my local
> >> WRF model runs using GEMPAK. If this indeed true, what gempak programs
> >> would I need to use to create an ensemble mean from my various members?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Greg
> >>
> >> --
> >> Greg Garrett