[GEMPAK #XHI-587257]: GEMPAK/N-AWIPS history!

Tien Vu Duy,

The GEMPAK software was originally developed by NASA in the 1980's
at the Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC). In 1995, NOAA adopted
GEMPAK as the basis for what they termed N-AWIPS.
In the URL below, you can find the press release regarding this:

http://www.publicaffairs.noaa.gov/pr95/feb95/gsc-nmc1.html

The N-AWIPS/GEMPAK program is used in support of the National Centers
(formerly called NOAA/NMC, but currently named NOAA/NCEP). The  National
Centers comprise the groups you will find listed here:
http://www.ncep.noaa.gov/

The names N-AWIPS and GEMPAK are now synonymous since NSAS transfered
all development over to NCEP.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

Ticket ID: XHI-587257