[GEMPAK #INM-971051]: New to GEMPAK

Dale,

The dcuair decoder actions provided in
$NAWIPS/ldm/etc/templates/pqact.gempak_decoders.in
have a pattern for operational dropsonde data in the real-time IDD data stream.
Once decoded into GEMPAK upper air files, NSHARP can be used to display
the dropsondes by clicking on the "DROP" file type under the Observed Soundings.

If you have other data not in the broadcast format that you want to get into
GEMPAK format,
the easiest way to to create an ASCII input file in the format that SFLIST
outputs such
as:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/tutorial/answers/snlist_answer1.html

Once data is in this type of format, use the SNEDIT program to read the data in
a GEMPAK file.

If you can describe your data, or expected format, I can help in
how to format your data for use with GEMPAK.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> Hello,
>
> I'm a graduate student at the University of Hawaii working with dropsondes
> and rawindsondes in hurricane environments. I was reading up on the Nsharp
> program and it sounds ideal for my data. I have never used GEMPAK before so I
> was hoping somoene could help me get started. I have the program loaded on my
> sun computer already, but I'm not sure where to go from there. Is there
> someone who can help me with loading my data into Nsharp?
> Thanks for your time,
> -Dale Unruh

Ticket ID: INM-971051
Department: Support GEMPAK