[GEMPAK #NAW-229234]: Another Gempak 5.10.3 build problem

>OS: Slackware Linux 11.0
>gcc/g77 version 3.4.6
>openmotif 2.3.0
>
>I'm having problems getting the graphical programs (nmap, ncolor, etc) to
>build.  The decoders and commandline programs work well.
>OpenMotif is installed and all the libraries are in the library paths
>specified in the build commands.  I've built the openmotif package myself
>and had no errors during the build.
>
>The complete make.out cab be viewed here:
>http://apollo.lsc.vsc.edu/~tuckerm/make.out

Mark,

The Makeinc.linux_g77 file has the Motif library defined as:
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.a
This uses the static library.

Your error message shows errors such as:
g77 -fno-second-underscore -I/software/gempak/NAWIPS/gempak/include
-I/software/gempak/NAWIPS/os/linux/include -O    -o nalarm nalarm.o label.o
list.o string.o text.o viewfile.o /software/gempak/NAWIPS/os/linux/lib/gemlib.a
/software/gempak/NAWIPS/os/linux/lib/Nxmlib.a
/software/gempak/NAWIPS/os/linux/lib/gemlib.a
/software/gempak/NAWIPS/os/linux/lib/cgemlib.a \
        -L/usr/X11R6/lib /usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.a -lXmu -lSM -lICE -lXp -lXext
-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXt -lX11

label.o(.text+0x64): In function `SetLabel':
: undefined reference to `XmStringCreateLtoR'

If you installed your libXm.a openmotif build in /usr/X11R6/lib/ as appears
above,
then try the command:
% nm /usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.a | grep XmStringCreateLtoR

It should respond such as:

000002f0 T XmStringCreateLtoR
         U XmStringCreateLtoR

You can try using the "-lXm" shareable library instead of the static library as
well
in the nm command, as well as in the Makeinc.linux_g77 config file. Perhaps
the shareable library is needed depending on how the openmotif
library configured/built on your system.

It would seems that either your build and install of the library failed and
installed
libXm.a without all of the expected routines, which would be the case if
"nm" didn't fined the named routines, or the libtool configuration with
openmotif
had some problems that were not evident during the install.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

Ticket ID: NAW-229234
Department: Support GEMPAK