[GEMPAK #ERO-473622]: installing Gempak5.10.2 binary for Mac OSX

Brett,

The Gemenviron script is the proper syntax if you are using csh or tcsh
as your user shell. The Gemenviron.profile script is the proper syntax
for sh, bash, ksh user shells. The "if....fi" is standard shell
syntax for sh, bash, ksh. You should only  source this with ".
Gemenviron.profile"
if you are running one of these shells. If you are using csh or tcsh,
you should "source Gemenviron". Only one of these is needed, and it is dependent
on which shell you are using.

The "~" character has reserved special meaning in shell syntax, so you should
not
name your user directories /~/...

That is, the traditional location for a user "smith" would have an account
under /home/smith. The use of the shell syntax "~smith" then refers to
the /home/smith location, eg the user home location as
defined in your /etc/password file.

I suggest you create a /home/gempak directory and unpack the GEMPAK distribution
to that location and set up the account as described in the GEMPAK installation
web pages. Then, determine what type of shell you are using. If you are
not sure how to do that, see your system administrator. Once
you have determined which shell you are using, you can then configure either
Gemenviron
or Gemenviron.profile as appropriate for your shell.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> Dear Gempak Support,
>
> We downloaded the binary distribution of Gempak5.10.2 for Mac OSX
> Darwin.  We installed the unpacked directory as /~/gempak/GEMPAK5.10.2
> and created the link file.  When we attempted to source the Gemenviron
> and Gemenviron.profile, we ran into problems.
>
> We got error messages when trying to source the Gemenviron.profile
> file about invalid syntax for if statements.  Looking at the file with
> a text editor, the if statements end with fi instead of end if.  Also,
> we had to modify both the Gemenviron and the Gemenviron.profile files
> definition of the directory structure by replacing /home/... with
> /~/... because ~ is used by OSX instead of 'home'.
>
> Is it possible to download a previous build of the gempak binary that
> had a working install for OSX?  Or can you provide us with a copy of
> Gemenviron.profile that works?
>
> Thanks,
> -Brett
>
> Brett R. Goforth
> Department of Earth Sciences
> University of California, Riverside 92521

Ticket ID: ERO-473622
Department: Support GEMPAK