[GEMPAK #DPK-410131]: plotting data generated from a program in a text file

> Hi,
>
> I've got a question for you. I am running a program that will create a
> hail size forecast using the PFC soundings. I am saving the output into
> a text file for each individual station. (The output will look like
> this....1.32";    2.27",    3.15", etc).  How do I go about manipulating
> the output text data so that I can plot it onto a map (plan view). I'm
> not sure which GEMPAK programs to run to do this...if it is possible.
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Kevin

Kevin,

Depending on what you eventually want to do with the data, you could:
1) create a station table type of file (like snstns.tbl) where the 10th
column would be your text string of the hail size, eg:
FCS       72468 FORT_CARSON                      CO US  3870 -10476  1789  0
3.5"
DNR       72469 DENVER/STAPLETON                 CO US  3975 -10487  1625  0
1.23"
GJT       72476 GRAND_JUNCTION/WALKER            CO US  3911 -10853  1475  0 2"

You can then plot the text string of column #10 in any program which has STNPLT
as
a parameter (including gpmap) such as:
 STNPLT   = 3/1/2/1/hw||hailstns.us#10

2) If you would like to use the data as station data, contour, etc, then
put it into the format of SFLIST and import it into a file created with SFCFIL
with appropriate SFPRMF attributes.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

Ticket ID: DPK-410131