[GEMPAK #DCS-597544]: MARK

> I am having trouble recently with plots of lightning
> data.  I have a script I have been using (in several
> variations) for several years.  I want it to plot
> lightning in small + and - signs.  Recently all I can
> get it to do is plot great big asterisks no matter
> what numbers I give to the MARK parameter.  Has
> something changed?  If so, I cannot find a change in
> the documentation.  A sample of my script is attached.
>
> Donna Tucker
> University of Kansas

Donna,

I don't see anything in your script below that would be plotting asterisks. In
fact,
what you show below has mark:1:1:1 (eg plus signs) for both + and - strikes), so
I was wondering if you were just attempting to debug there. The only thing that
would
cause something like marker number confusion would be linking of programs with
older gplt
where the api doesn't match up.

The only SFMAP change has been the addition of LSTPRM.You don't show setting
STNPLT either,
but I don't think either of those would be causing you trouble, but you probably
want to run SFMAP in that directory by hand just to see what the gemglb.nts has.
You may just need to delete the gemglb.nts and last.nts and recreate those with
sfmap setting all
values that your script is not explicitly setting.

Did you try running in a clean work directory?

I will offer one suggestion (without solving your problem at hand at this
point):

In the dcnldn (and dcuspln) decoders, I have the STID set to "+" and "-" for
positive and negative flashes respectively, so you can accomplish the signs
using a single
run (instead of running twice as you had in your script) using?

SFPARM=stid

then use the TEXT attributes to control the attributes (note that size can be
modified for text
within the SFPARM parameter in the most recent release. What version are you
using?

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

Ticket ID: DCS-597544